Stick Curtain Walling (SCW) may be defined as non-load bearing walls, usually
suspended in front of structural steel or concrete framing. The deadweight of the SCW
with environmental forces acting upon them is transferred back to the main structure
through the SCW fixing points.
The term “stick” refers to the factory-cut mullions and transoms which are transported to
site as loose bars or sticks. However it is possible to assemble them into a ladder
frame for quicker site assembly.
• Quicker production processes in the factory
• Can be transported to site in shorter lead times than unitised facades
• Slow process of assembly on site
• Gasket cutting and silicone sealing at mullion/transoms joints is critical to the
watertightness of the curtain wall
• Trained and skilled workers and supervisiors must be used
– Stick is known as a traditional curtain wall system. It was invented first before all
existing systems. With Stick system, all the work (the process of installing aluminium frame and glass) is performed at construction site.
– Stick system is usually used for low-rise building such as shopping mall, office
building, school, hospital and other public projects.